Secretary Job Description
ArtHeart Board of Directors
You may apply for this position using the application form below.
The Board of Directors is collectively accountable to the community, program participants, funders, and other stakeholders. They are accountable for the effective stewardship of the organization’s resources.
Board members are responsible for:
- Acting in the best long-term interests of ArtHeart and the community;
- Bringing knowledge and an inclusive perspective to the task informed decision-making.
Every member of the Board of Directors is responsible for the following:
- Preparing for and participating in board meetings
- Listening to others’ views, advocating their own, identifying common interests and alternatives, and being open to compromise and collaboration;
- Supporting governance decisions once made
- Participating in the development of strategic plans
- Assisting in the monitoring and leadership of the organization via:
- Ensuring congruence with its mission, objectives, core values and reputation;
- Approval of annual budget and the financial performance of the organization;
- Establishing, reviewing, and monitoring operations
- Hiring of, performance evaluation, and if required, the releasing of, the Executive Director;
- Identifying and recruiting prospective board members
- Participating in the annual board self-evaluation
- Contributing to the work of the board as a member of a board committee
- Attending and participating in the Annual General Meeting
- Support of, and participation in, fundraising events and activities
- Keeping informed about community issues relevant to the mission of the organization
- Abide by the by-laws, code of conduct, conflict of interest and other policies that apply to the board;
Secretary Specific Responsibilities
- Fosters communication and diligence through proper management and utilization of important records such as meeting minutes and the organization’s bylaws
- Maintains records of the board and ensures effective management of the organization’s records
- Provides proper of notice of any meetings and timely distribution of materials for board meetings
- Manages minutes of board meetings
- Ensures minutes are distributed to members shortly after each meeting
- Approximately 6 – 10 hours a month participating in board meetings, preparing for board meetings, participating in committees and attending special events.
Term of Office
- Two-year term, renewable once
Experience & Qualifications
- Knowledge of the community; willingness to share contacts/network
- Commitment to ArtHeart’s mission and strategic directions
- Openness to working collaboratively and learning
- Demonstrated ability to share skills and knowledge with others
- Strong communication and organization skills
Please use this form to let us know of your interest in the above position. If you have any questions, please contact us.